Friday, October 06, 2006

This English is Chinese!

My friend shows me some reports written in English by her colleague at work. "Please forgive me," I say after skimming through them. "This isn't English." She looks surprised. "It's Chinese."

Reading the words, all written in English, more carefully, one realizes that my friend's colleague is still thinking in Chinese. It's as if she has used some kind of translation software to produce the report. It looks like English, but it's not!

And so, I am in demand here in Taiwan. People always want to practice their English with me. Once Chinese speakers learn grammar and vocabulary, the journey can begin! It's like what they say in the martial arts. Once you get your black belt, you are ready to begin studying the true martial art.

Can you think using the images of an English speaker? Can you shape your sentences like a native speaker? Did you know that English has tones, just like Chinese?

People here in Taiwan are much more academically focused than people on the States. They have all taken a lot of exams. It's funny to meet students who are preparing for their GRE's, but who are still afraid of speaking English.

Fortunately, I am studying Chinese, and I understand the difficulty that people have in learning English. I am trying to climb over the same wall, but from the opposite side! My friends give me words in Chinese and I forget them quickly. The syllables in Chinese sound the same sometimes. Is it "re qing" or "re xin"? And who can remember the tones?

I love my Taiwanese friends. They always encourage me, saying "slowly, slowly, you'll get it." 慢慢萊!

I realize that learning a language is just like life. Relax. Let the river flow (and don't push it). Let it wash over you. Swim hard. Then relax. Do flips in the water. Jump on your friend and splash her! Float. Get out of the water and eat some watermelon.

Learn like a child.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

嗯, 沒有錯。 學外語的話最好當小孩子的心。 別太辛苦啦, 以學習來玩! 學外語不是一個月的事也不是幾年的事, 就是一輩子的任務。

我完全同意你的想法。 這樣來你的生活更有意義!
加油啦!!