Monday, October 16, 2006

Meeting with a Heron

Tonight I take a walk just before midnight, down the mountain. After walking for about 15 minutes, I see something with a large wingspan swoop down in front of me. It sits on a bridge over a creek that flows down the mountain. I stand across the street from it, just looking at it. It sees me, but doesn't move. Some cars speed down the mountain, their lights beaming at the heron. It flinches a little bit but doesn't fly away. I am still standing across from it.

Is the bird curious about me? What is it doing there?

I feel like I am with another living being, which I am, and we are meeting for just a moment. I will never see this being again. Tomorrow, when I am in Chinese class, where will the heron be?

The American Indians always believe that every encounter with an animal carries a message. What is the heron's message to me?

No comments: