Sunday, September 24, 2006

Salsa Nirvana

Today, I accidentally hit the music icon on my PDA and realized that my Palm Pilot can function as an MP3 player. Oh my god. Life will never be the same. At least for the next few weeks.

An additional benefit is that I can be like all the other Taiwanese kids here in Taipei listening to MP3s on the bus. Except I will be listening to quality music, not crappy pop music (except for Jay Zhou (周杰倫) and Jolin (蔡依林)). Oh, and let's not forget my favorite, the amazing Sun Yan Zi (孙燕姿).

Here is a photo of Jolin. Roni says: Jolin, I live only for you.

Here is the music that I downloaded this evening onto my Palm:

  • David Darling's Darkwood (meditative cello music that will make you feel like you are in love, with no one in particular)
  • Maraca's Descarga Total (the hottest salsa music that you will ever listen to, and will make you want to dance with the old toothless Taiwanese lady next door who gets up early to wash vegetables)
  • "Such a Rush" by Coldplay (the theme song of modern times)

In case you haven't heard this last song, I suggest you get a copy of it. Here are the words:
Such a rush to do nothing at all.
Such a fuss to do nothing at all.
Such a rush to do nothing at all.

Such a rush to get nowhere at all.
Such a fuss to do nothing at all.
Such a rush.

So slow down please.
Just slow down.
So slow down please.
Just slow down.

Looking at a paper,
Going after money.
Far too many people
Looking for their money.
Everybody's out there,
Trying to get money.
Why can't you just tell me?
Trying to get money rush.

Such a rush.
No rush.
Such a rush.
Why are we all in such a rush?

My best friend in the States e-mailed me on Friday and told me that he is moving to India to go deep into himself and let go of his attachments. I am so happy for him. As I wrote to him in an e-mail today, "it seems like information (aka, "crap") accumulates and then, by some kind of mysterious grace, some heretofore blocked stream opens up."

We all have different paths. It feels like listening to Maraca's salsa music is nirvana for me right now. The only thing that would be better would be dancing to it. Maybe with Jennifer Lopez.

To my brother who is getting ready to begin his new journey: Congratulations! And to all of you who have a journey that you'd like to begin, I'm praying that your own stream gushes forth and that you can be free.

Sounds like a good prayer, which would be appropriate, since it is the Jewish New Year. Shana tova, everyone!

2 comments:

xuan_hong said...

Hey Ron, do you know that I love you? Unfortunately you are a bit too grown up for me, but I love your blog. Excellent humor and the question of where to go and what to reach and who we are is an ever-present question for those who are conscious that it's not our own life that counts. Not only our own life. Not only our own desires. Not only our own needs. xxx ULLI

xuan_hong said...

well, and I'm jealous. Because you are ONLY living for Jolin... haha... ;-) No one is only living for me, but that's my fate I guess, because I'm living too much for myself that no one else can live for me. (talkin' a bit crap right now... nevermind, see you tomorrow! :-) )