Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Only Don't Know

"So I ask you: what are you? You don't know; there is only "I don't know." Always keep this don't know mind. When this don't know mind becomes clear, then you will understand."
Zen Master Seung Sahn

Walking up the mountain from school, I remember the words of Seung Sahn, "Only Don't Know". Americans always look for a solution, an answer. I think everyone does this, everywhere in the world, but he was teaching Americans when he came to the States in the early 70s. The greatest Zen master in Korea comes to Rhode Island and works for a laundromat. And he teaches one thing: "Only don't know!"

How can I let go of my seeking to know the answers, to hold onto something? When I am suffering it is because somehow I am not comfortable with what is actually happening. I'd like to change it.

Tonight I go to sleep, okay, for once, with not knowing.

No comments: