Friday, May 25, 2007

Peaceful Warrior

On Sunday, a group of us Zheng Da students participated in an aikido conference. What a gift this art is. In case you don't recognize me, I am the dangerous-looking guy on the left, looking like a young Steven Seagal.

In case you know nothing about aikido, it's a Japanese martial art that teaches one to harmonize with attack. We don't try to kill our opponent, but become more sensitive to him, blend with his attack, and ensure that both of us stay safe.

In case your attacker insists on continuing his attack, of course, then you are allowed to snap his elbow against your thigh. Just kidding. Sort of.

To sum it up, let me quote my first teacher, Bob Nadeau Sensei, who would say: "Under pressure, let things flow". I will never forget the hours of training in his dojo and all my aiki brothers and sisters there. To Bob, I send my most sincere thanks for sharing the art with me and so many others.

It's good to be practicing again.

No comments: