Monday, May 07, 2007

Free Hugs

It's a beautiful spring day in Muzha. I get out of class at noon and walk down the hill to get some lunch. I see my friend Lara, a tall, dreadlocked hippie girl. She's got a beautiful smile and a tattoo on her ear. She could be from Berkeley, easily, but she's from Italy, and I always say a few words of Italian to her. "Come vai?" I ask when I see her approaching the piazza on campus.

I feel at home speaking with her, because I am also a hippie, though without the dreads or the tattoo. I've danced barechested in the desert, jumped out of an airplane, sang my heart out to a big crowd, painted pictures in cafes. We, the hippies, want free love, boundless self-expression, creativity, and freedom.

In Taiwan, I find an old part of me, very comfortable drinking tea and talking about the Dao, even willing to help people save a little face.

But, there's one thing that I miss about the Bay, that I don't tell my Taiwanese friends about. Lara and I say bye, we smile, and then something happens that doesn't happen much in this Confucian land. We give each other a big warm hug.

Yeah, Chinese-like Taipei boy is busted. Definitely homesick!




This is on the Berkeley campus, a few blocks from where I used to live. It makes me homesick. It makes me happy.

1 comment:

Sophia said...

i love this video~我的心覺得好溫暖