Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Whisky Drinker

I'm coming home on the subway here in Shanghai at about 10 p.m. and walk out the turnstile toward exit 4. That's the Maoming Lu exit at the Shanxi Nan Lu subway station. In other words, home.

A guy in his early 20s, wearing nice pants and a suit jacket walks past me with a bare bottle of whisky in hand (half empty), his face completely flushed. He's not swaying, so it looks like his ability to hold his alcohol is pretty strong. He is walking ahead of me, and when he approaches exit 4, he looks around and turns back to walk to the other side of the station, as if searching for someone and not finding her.

The phrase "All dressed up and no place to go" comes to my mind. I start wondering what happened to him.

It's getting late and I need to get home. I stop wondering and just chalk it up to "another human being looking for truth", take the escalator to street level, and call it a day.

No comments: