Thursday, November 22, 2007

To Richard Moon, My Old Aikido Teacher With Love and Respect

When I was back in California recently, I had the honor to take an aikido class with my old teacher, Richard Moon. I was only 23 when I started studying with him. I would take the BART train to Civic Center after working at the law firm where I worked in San Francisco's Financial district, and on Thursday nights, I was his disciple.

Richard always had a way of putting things in perspective, so however shitty a day you were having, you always felt good, revived, and back to your old self after practice.

That's why I kept practicing aikido.

"Stress is a good way to find your center," he used to say. Just like when we stand, we rock back and forth, side t0 side to feel exactly where center is.

Over a decade later, I suddenly appear in practice. It's so strange to be back. Richard looks about the same. He tells me I look younger! This is probably because I used to meet with him at Pete's Coffee and tell him how much I wanted to change careers. And I finally did.

Richard leads us in stretching exercises. He asks us to stretch and then he tells us that after we stretch, it's very important to relax and feel the effect on the body. He tells us that some people who practice yoga move from one pose to the next, never stopping to feel how each pose affects the body.

It's like yin (陰) and yang (陽).

I think about this because I'm now in a very yin phase. I spent the past few months working hard, getting ready for Shanghai. And now, because of my recent injury (it's getting better), I'm forced to relax and rest.

Well, Richard, here's to you. Thanks for all your many gifts.

No comments: