Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Taiwanese Ladies in Cafe Gratitude

Today, I had lunch with my friend Ross at a very Bay Area establishment, Cafe Gratitude. It's a restaurant that serves vegan food (no animal products) with a new age flair. I ordered Pesto Pizza, which on the menu is called "You are Sensational." So when the waitress brought our food to the table, she says "You are Sensational?" and I said "Yes!"

Even though there are some organic restaurants in Taiwan, there's just nothing like Gratitude there. So, while I am here in the Bay Area, I figure I better get my fill of organic-hippie-granola culture.

Ross and I had a great time catching up. Although I answered his questions about what it was like in Taiwan, I couldn't quite convey to him what it was like to live there. I don't know if it is possible to explain it in words to anyone who hasn't been there.

As we were talking, I noticed that a group of older Taiwanese women sat down next to us and began speaking in Chinese. I recognized their accent.

When Ross and I got up to leave, I turned and asked them: "好不好吃?" ("How's the food?"). Ross saw my big smile (and their's) as we started to speak in Chinese. They asked me to sit down and we talked for five minutes.

Outside of the restaurant, Ross and I say goodbye, and for once, magically, one of my friends here gets a taste of my life in Taiwan.

No comments: