Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Funky Bohemian Dog

On Saturday mornings, as I walk down the mountain, I usually see a middle-aged Taiwanese guy slowly riding his scooter down the mountain. Long hair flows of his helmet as his dog trails behind. He's taking his dog for a walk, and probably running a few errands while he is near the university.

The dog is funny-looking. He's been shaved, his whole body except for a mohawk/mane that extends from his head to his shoulder blades. He's also got funky beard and a soft, neatly-trimmed tuft of hair on the end of his tail.

Today, I see the man on his motorcycle going up the mountain, moving slower than I can jog. Sounds like his bike could use a tune-up. His hippie dog is following behind, sniffing here and there. Every once in a while, his owner stops and waits, and then continues puttering up the mountain.

I pass him while he is waiting. I say "nihao" but he is looking for the dog. I don't think he is in the mood to talk to a waiguoren or practice his English.

I picture the guy's house at the top of the mountain, perhaps near the big temple. What does it look like?

Perhaps a part of me want to have a little dog and live on the mountain, have a more quiet existence.

Except I wouldn't shave the dog like that.

No comments: