Sunday, December 31, 2006

Savoring Each Moment

You meet lots of people in your daily life. Maybe you go out and get a cup of tea and some cheesecake, or dinner with a few that you are attracted to, or who are interested in you (hopefully both!). Meeting a new person is like reading a new book. Each person has pages and pages of history, ideas, dreams. I am curious! And of course, some books grab us. Some don't.

Or sometimes, a book seems interesting and everyone recommends it to you, but you can't get into it! In that case, I say, don't force it.

And then, if we're single, we meet someone, and it feels just like every other date. We're having fun, talking about her sister or my undergrad years on the East coast. We go home, and we are taken by surprise. 欸, I am still thinking about her!

What a gift when this happens.

We thought it was just another date, but seemingly out of the blue, we feel something bigger than ourselves happening. Maybe that little angel-boy with the bow and arrow and has been playing near us today and accidentally shot us, right in the heart!

And the next day, we are on a bus. And we still have that feeling in our hearts.

It is called love. Maybe you could call it grace. Life is mysterious in that way, sneaking up on us.

These days, I am grateful just to feel this feeling. I have no idea whether anything will happen with this person I have met. I certainly would welcome it, but that is the subject of another blog entry.

Today I am grateful for this simple feeling. I know that we all have this love inside of our hearts. The masters say that it is always there, that is doesn't come from another person.

I am happy to be reminded of this, grateful that somehow, another person has teased it out of me. Today, it is here and I savor it. Surely, it will not last, but today, I savor each moment.

No comments: