Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Too Long


I'm eating dinner on campus with my young friend Qing Yan and since the school restaurant is full, we sit at a table already occupied by a young couple. They're far enough away so we can pretend that we have our own table and start catching up, but of course, after a while we start talking with our dinnermates.

The woman across from me asks my friend if she's Taiwanese, since it's obvious she has a southern accent. I respond saying that she's in fact "one of your compatriots" (she's from Guangxi). Uh oh, I'm getting political. Bad Roni.

Of course, my new mainland friend across the table doesn't waste a second to inform me that "Taiwanese people are our compatriots." I have many Taiwanese friends I know that that's not true and I tell her that. She disagrees, saying young people might say that, but not old people. I decide not to argue with her.

After she and her boyfriend leave, I tell my friend that you're not going to find old or young people in Taiwan who would agree that they are this woman's compatriots. I don't know, either I'm wrong, or people on the mainland are brainwashed. Hmm, which one is it? If I am wrong, can you do me a favor, please humble me and let me know.

Later in the evening, I am on the phone with my Taiwanese friend Jennie. I tell Jennie about my interaction at dinner, and about my semester studying Chinese in Beijing. In literature class, we read a story by the famous Lu Xun. Lu Xun lived in the early 20th century and was a revolutionary, advocating that Chinese people modernize their ways. He believed that Confucius was that worst enemy of the Chinese people. For these reasons, after his death, Lu Xun was beloved by Mao and (therefore) the people of the new communist state.

I am curious, I ask Jennie if in Taiwan they even know about Lu Xun, since Lu Xun seems to be so identified with Mao and the communists. I figure the government of Taiwan would not want his works read.

Jennie kindly tells me that Taiwan is a democratic society and that what they read has nothing to do with what the government thinks, and that people can read Lu Xun there.

We start cracking up together. I have definitely been on the mainland too long.

Feedback? Please send me your thoughts. My mind is open...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, we can read Lu Xun's books, even in 70s, some "forbidden books" were still available in some places known to a certain amount of people. There was a series of TV program (in the 90s maybe) introduced writers after the May forth movement. (五四運動)
We (Taiwan and China) do share a same cultural origin, many "history" are transmitted through textbooks.
Lu Xun is considered the first (top) writer in China. The interesting thing is that Confucius philosophy is gradually reconsidered and recognized in China as I observe. Many people in China (including the authorities) have gradually realize the cultural revolution was a mistake and disaster and try to do some reconstruction.
The communication and interaction between Taiwan and China is continuing growing rapidly, especially after direct flight policy.
I just came back from a trip to Shanghai with a group of college students. We visited Lu Xun Park, Memorial Hall and his former apartment.
The idea of compatriot is complicate. So-called mainlanders (those came to Taiwan with Chung Kai-Sheng) have families and relatives on both side, and the so-called Taiwanese can trace their ancestor in FuChien (福建) Province. Only the aboriginal people is not rooted from China I guess.