Sunday, January 04, 2009

No Rush

Beijing is big, so this evening, after hanging out with Michael at the tea market in the city center, it will take me a while to get home. I'll have to switch trains twice, including taking the fifteen minute walk through the Xizhimen station, which is usually an annoyance, probably because my life in Beijing has been too busy with school and work.

But this evening, I'm in no rush to get home. No tests. No students to teach. I don't even have to go to the gym to work out. I can totally take my time.

I walk slowly through the stations, watching the multitudes. I watch them as they get ready for their Saturday nights with friends. Some young girls next to me are all done up and it looks like they're on their way to a bar or a restaurant. I notice the train station employees, scattered throughout the stations, trying to make a living. I have a little book of Chinese vocabulary in my pocket and read it on the train.

After I get off line two and on the way to line thirteen, there's a guy in front of me who is walking slowly. But this evening, it doesn't bother me one bit.

From the train station, I take a taxi home. I finally get to my building and have to wait some more for the elevator. A youngish Chinese woman and I get in.

Perhaps she's been at the office all day putting in overtime. Her floor approaches and the doors open. She breathes an obvious sigh of relief to finally be home and walks out of the elevator.

No comments: