Monday, March 16, 2009

A New Friend

Lately, I've been having very positive interactions with random people I meet during the course of my day. I guess this shows you that if you are happy inside, you will attract the right people into your life. China (or perhaps anywhere) is a good training ground.

I get on the train and I see a man in his mid-forties reading a book on shufa (Chinese calligraphy). As everyone knows, I am a shufa fan! I can't help but walk over to him and tell him that I love shufa. Actually, I always like meeting Chinese people who are into shufa.

He responds very warmly and we begin talking about Chinese characters. We both have to change trains and walk together to line 13. He sometimes uses English, and it's pretty good. It's good to make a new friend. We exchange cards and say goodbye. "Keep in touch!" we both say. Perhaps we can get together for tea and talk more about shufa.

I am waiting for the door of the subway car to open and as it does, I hear him call my name. "Kaiyuan," he says.

I turn around, and he's holding out the book of shufa to me. "Here," he says, and puts it in my hands.

I am totally suprised and I tell him "Buyong, buyong! You don't have to, you don't have to!" But the doors are about to close and he won't take it back.

I am touched by the warmth and kindness of this Chinese man I just met fifteen minutes ago. A new friend.

1 comment:

Martha said...

Reading your blog is just like reading my own~~I have heard that we should carve the thankfulness on the stone and write the hatred on the sand:> Even I know most of the nice persons I have met will never read my blogs~I still enjoy writing them down and read them to warm myself when I feel cold:>
Sometimes strangers make us feel even more touched than our intimate friends do~~
Even though both of us understand that we might never see each other again, we still like to do sth. for the other altruistically~How nice the life it is when all of us open our hearts~~
I think you are definitely right~it is the same everywhere~I have heard from some people that New Yorkers are arrogant, and not so nice as people in other areas~BUT, the truth is that, they sent me home when I was lost; they gave me money when I couldn't find a change;even a shop keeper presented me the staff I liked but couldn't afford~~I could hardly find any chance to return them, the only thing I could do is to pass the love and friendship to others:>
So~~(I don't know whether you have heard this~)life is a mirror:>When you laugh to it, it laughs to you; when you appear furious or hostile, it also turns to be a cold fish:>
If you do not speak to me on the train, we probably just walk into different paths and never get to know each other~~You are so nice to others, so you deserve others' kindness:>
Many of us feel that we are living on a lonely planet today~we even feel more helpless than the little prince,since a loyal rose becomes a luxurious possessing~~but I think if it happenes, it is we ourselves who should blame~when you yourself wear a mask, how could you expect a pure warm authentic heart?
"Nobody is an isolated island" As angels with one wing, only when embracing each other, can we fly~

Wish you enjoy the life here:> Good luck!
Your friend Yuan