Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Water Girl

At the subway station, I walk up to a stand that sells drinks. I notice they have some bottled water and so I walk up to the young girl who works there to ask her for a bottle of water. I am parched since I just finished taiji practice.

"What kind of water do you want?" she asks me.

I don't get it. Behind her are about ten different kinds of drinks and only one of them is water. Did I miss the "beverage" lesson in my Chinese textbook?

"Well, do you have several different kinds of water?" I ask.

"Yes," she says.

I look again and start reading to her. "Well, you have orange juice, oolong tea, green tea, jasmine tea, milk tea, Pepsi... "

She starts laughing at around "jasmine tea" and pulls the water off the shelf.

I always like it when Chinese people laugh at my jokes.

No comments: